With Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) you can create abootable USB or CDto completely erase your hard drive. No traces of your data can be found after this. Handy when selling your PC. Windows must then be reinstalled.
We show you how to erase your entire hard drive. Because Windows is also deleted, this must be done from a bootable USB or CD.
1. Download the DBAN iso file (see Downloads below).
2. Burn this file on a CD-ROM. Make sure that you burn it as an image on the CD-ROM, not as data! This is essential, otherwise the CD-ROM will not boot. You have now created a bootable CD-ROM. You can of course also create a bootable USB stick with the help of RUFUS or Etcher, for example.
3. Start the relevant PC whose hard drive you want to erase with this DBAN CD-ROM or USB stick in it.
4. If all is well, the PC will now boot from the CD-ROM or USB stick.
If this is not the case, you must set the BIOS of the PC to start first from a CD-ROM or USB stick. Restart the PC and quickly press the Delete key (or Esc, F2, etc. depending on the PC). Now you enter the PC's BIOS. Look for Boot or Boot Sequence (boot sequence) and make sure the PC is the first to boot from a CD-ROM (you can usually do this with the arrow keys). Save these settings, leave the BIOS and start the PC from a CD-ROM or USB stick.
5. DBAN starts up. In the first screen, press the Enter key and wait a moment.
Press the Enter key and wait a moment
6. You now see your disk structure. If you press the spacebar, the entire disk is immediately selected to be erased (you will see 'wipe' appear in front of the disk). Otherwise you can go to parts of the disk (partitions) with the arrow keys and select them with the space bar.
Press the spacebar to select a disk (now 'wipe' appears for the disk)
The standard method for erasing is overwriting three times (the more often the data is overwritten on a hard disk, the more impossible it is to find them again). By entering the letter M you can choose to have the data overwritten more or less frequently. This varies from 1 to 35 times. Transferring once is much quicker but less thorough (there is a chance that something will be recovered). Overwriting three times is the standard method (if you do nothing, it will be used). Transferring seven times takes much longer and is for the paranoid PC user. 35 times overwriting is the most thorough method where it is practically impossible to find anything. However, this method takes a very long time. Normally, the standard method of overwriting three times will be sufficient.
The standard wipe method overwrites the data three times
7. If you have selected a disk and are sure you want to destroy all data on this disk, you can start the wipe process by pressing F10. The entire process can take hours, or even a day, depending on the size of the disk and the method used to overwrite the data. Now all files, softwareand the Windows operating systemwill be deleted from the hard disk!
All data on the hard disk will be irrevocably deleted with DBAN. This promotion is irreversible: files can no longer be found afterwards - not even with recovery software. If you want to save certain data or files, you must make a backup in advance on a separate CD, DVD or external hard drive! The Windows operating system is also removed from the hard disk by DBAN. If you want to sell the PC afterwards, you must therefore reinstall Windows.
DBAN is not suitable for SSD drives, only for hard drives!
You can free download Darik's Boot And Nuke (DBAN) and safe install the latest trial or new full version for Windows 10 (x32, 64 bit, 86) from the official site.
Devices: Desktop PC, Laptop (ASUS, HP, DELL, Acer, Lenovo, MSI), Ultrabook
OS: Professional, Enterprise, Education, Home Edition, versions: 1507, 1511, 1607, 1703, 1709, 1803, 1809